The Open & Affordable Education Committee is happy to announce two new members joining the committee for the spring semester: Nora Ryan, Inclusion Services Coordinator for the Office of Equal Opportunity, and Cyndi Wiley, the new Digital Accessibility Coordinator for Iowa State University.
We are especially excited to welcome Cyndi to our ranks as someone new to Iowa State and knowledgeable in digital accessibility, a major concern for those working with OER. We hope that her experience and expertise will help improve the resources being created and shared by instructors at ISU, and we are certain that her voice will be valuable in our regular discussions about how best to support our faculty and students.
Accessibility and inclusion are two incredibly important topics in Open Education, and they have been featured often in blog posts and other publications over the past two years. If you would like to learn more about how these topics interact, explore the resources below:
- NAACP - Open Educational Resources: Equity & Opportunities
- Community College Consortium for OER: Equity & Openness blog posts
- Learning OER Module 9: Accessibility
- Colvard, N.B., Watson, C.E., & Park, H. (2018). The impact of open educational resources on various student success metrics. International Journal of Teaching & Learning in Higher Education, 30(2): 262-276. Retrieved from http://www.isetl.org/ijtlhe/pdf/IJTLHE3386.pdf
- Coolidge, A., Doner, S., Robertson, T., & Gray, J. (2018). BCCampus Open Education Accessibility Toolkit, 2nd Edition. BCCampus Open Textbooks. Retrieved from https://opentextbc.ca/accessibilitytoolkit/