Looking for Online Learning Help? Open Resources for Teaching and Learning Online
- ISU Library COVID-19 Update: Visit this website for updates about the University Library's response to COVID-19, including closures, off-campus access information, and changes to service.
- Iowa State University campus updates: Visit this webpage for up-to-date information about changes to university operations as we are impacted by COVID-19, including an FAQ for faculty, staff, and students.
- CELT "Course Continuity in Response to COVID-19" webpage: CELT has created this useful guide for instructors at Iowa State who need to pivot their course to an online teaching method with very little planning time. Resources, information, and contacts for support can all be of use to you.
- Keep Teaching: This website has been developed to support instructors at Kwantlen Polytechnic University who need to plan and facilitate teaching and learning activities remotely in the event of an unexpected campus closure. This site provides quick tips, strategies, and tools for moving teaching and learning resources (e.g., lectures and readings) and practices (e.g., activities and assessments) online. Although it is aimed at instructors at a particular institution, many of the resources and advice are applicable to Iowa State as well.
Looking for some free materials to help your students through the switch to online courses? Here are some OER websites that might help you find something useful. If you're still having trouble, consider contacting the University library's Open Access Librarian at email@example.com for support.
- OpenStax Textbooks
- The Open Textbook Library
- Our "Find an OER" webpage
- OER adopted in Iowa spreadsheet
Support for Students
- Learning to Learn Online: A student-focused workshop guide and handbook, Learning to Learn Online helps you prepare for online learning success by introducing you to the online learning environment and your role as a learner within it. As you come to understand yourself as a self-directed learner, you will also be introduced to effective learning strategies: time management for online learners, information management, professional communication, and reading strategies.
- Online Student Readiness Tutorials from CCCOEI: The Online Education Initiative (OEI) has developed the Online Student Readiness Tutorials, a series of interactive multimedia tutorials, to address the real challenges experienced by online students, new and experienced, while pursuing success in online classes.
- Blueprint for Success in College: Indispensable Study Skills and Time Management Strategies: A students' guide for classroom success. This text, designed to show how to be successful in college focuses on study skills and time management.