Two upcoming workshops feature Pressbooks, our open textbook publishing platform
To help faculty interested in adapting or publishing open textbooks learn more about the software and services available to support them at Iowa State, we are supporting two online workshops this spring:
Publishing Open Textbooks with Pressbooks
Tuesday, 03 May 2022 from 2:30 pm to 4:00 pm
During this workshop, attendees will receive:
- Access to examples of the types of projects that can be created in Pressbooks
- An overview of various tools and features available in the platform
- Hands-on experience editing and writing in a practice Pressbooks instance
Making the Most of Pressbooks
Wednesday, 15 Jun 2022 from 11:00 am to 12:00 pm
In this workshop, participants will learn how to utilize the tools built into Pressbooks to improve the interactivity of their online course materials.
Specifically, this workshop will review how to utilize:
- H5P, an interactive assessment tool for creating quizzes and activities inside your text;
- Hypothesis, an annotation and note-taking software that allows readers to hold discussions, read socially, organize their research, and take personal notes within a shared learning space alongside your course materials; and
- Glossaries, textboxes, and embed features available to make your Pressbooks project more appealing and easy for readers to navigate.
Sign up now to take advantage of one or both of these workshops! You do not need to take both and the first is not a required prerequisite for the second. Instead, each will have a slightly different focus: the first focusing on Pressbooks' capabilities as a publishing platform and the second on how you can leverage the tools in Pressbooks to create a more engaging learning experience for students.