The Open & Affordable Education Committee was provided with an official charge by Provost Wickert in 2019:
"To affirm, enable, and expand its work in support of OER at ISU, the Senior Vice President and Provost charges the Open and Affordable Education Committee as follows:
- Examine national trends regarding OER and make recommendations regarding best practices of their use
- Examine the current use of OER across ISU and make recommendations to increase their use while respecting faculty rights and responsibilities
- Identify any impediments to OER and other affordable course materials adoption at ISU
- Explore additional affordable course material initiatives that could be developed in the future
- Continue to lead and administer the committee’s existing OER initiatives
To the extent that the committee feels additional charges would be beneficial to the goal of increasing the adoption of OER, they may be added as the committee feels appropriate."1
While much of our work focuses on OER, we understand that Open Educational Resources might not be the best fit for every course. The OAEC encourages faculty to select resources that maintain excellent teaching and learning outcomes. These solutions may include both free and low-cost resources.
|Immediate Access||Course Reserves||Open Educational Resources|
The Office of the Senior Vice President and Provost's website lists Course Material Affordability among the High Impact Practices and Student Success Initiatives on their website.